Thursday, August 4, 2016

Review: Rainbow Boys (Rainbow Trilogy #1)

Author: Alex Sanchez
Goodreads Rating: 3.85
Pages: 247
Jason Carrillo is a jock with a steady girlfriend, but he can't stop dreaming about sex...with other guys.
Kyle Meeks doesn't look gay, but he is. And he hopes he never has to tell anyone -- especially his parents.
Nelson Glassman is "out" to the entire world, but he can't tell the boy he loves that he wants to be more than just friends.
Three teenage boys, coming of age and out of the closet. In a revealing debut novel that percolates with passion and wit, Alex Sanchez follows these very different high-school seniors as their struggles with sexuality and intolerance draw them into a triangle of love, betrayal, and ultimately, friendship.

  I remembered reading this book in high school and I wanted to see if I still loved it as much as I did then. The answer was yes, and almost more so.

If you haven't heard of or read the summary yet (for whatever reason), it pretty much is the story of three different gay boys and their struggles with their identity and, of course, high school. You have Jason, the jock who doesn't think he's gay, and almost appears to be slightly homophobic, while on the other end of the spectrum is Nelson, who is very openly gay, and Kyle is somewhere in the middle. We also have a little love triangle between the boys ;)

Each chapter is told from either one of the three boys' perspectives and usually, I'm not a huge fan of this, but here, it really worked. The book really helped you empathize with each of the boys as they each had their own struggles. This also helped me, personally, understand the struggles of some of my friends and peers when I was in high school. Their struggles, both with their identity and typical high school drama, were all very relatable. It's a great book for a lot of different people, whether you are gay, questioning or curious, or even just looking to understand what a friend might be going through.

These were feelings I remembered feeling when I first read the book, and nowadays, there is a lot more tolerance and acceptance around homosexuality, so some people may not see the relevance of the book, but I still think it's something everyone should read at least once!

The Court's Decision:
 

1 comment:

  1. I don't think that this is my kind of book, will be sharing this review with my circle of friends, may be someone among them might be interested. Thank you for sharing the review though

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...