Friday, August 3, 2012

Firelight

Author: Sophie Jordan
Goodreads Rating: 3.99
My Rating: 4/5 stars
Pages: 323
Reviewed by: Nicole


I initially got this book for my mom to read during her week off with the intention of reading it afterward. My mom loves dragons, so this book was right up her alley when it came to her reading preferences. I got the chance to read it (it is a library book so I do have to return it). Another great trilogy, that luckily strays away from the usual dystopian theme.


Goodreads Synopses:


A hidden truth. 
Mortal enemies. 
Doomed love.

Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.
Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.
Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.
Fly into my review after the jump!
I liked that this book was a quick read and that you could really fall into the characters although, they didn't invoke a strong emotion in me. In fact, it really just got the song Call Me, Maybe stuck in my head because it seems like our heroine Jacinda could have her pick of boys.

The start of the book we get to see what these Draki look like which for me was a little hard to imagine. She talks about bones shifting, and wings expanding, but what I wondered was do they stay small like their human selves? I've heard that the description does get clearer in Vanish, the second book in the series, so I'll just have to wait and see.


I really did not like Jacinda's mom and sister, Tamra. Granted she was just acting like any 16 year old girl would, but I think that Tamra and Jacinda was equally inconsiderate of each other. Although we don't see much of Jacinda in the Pride with the other Draki, I can't imagine her having been too sensitive to her sister. The same thing goes for Tamra when they moved, she didn't seem at all considerate of Jacinda's pain when it came to trying to kill her Draki.


It was a super quick read even with the introduction to this new kind of legend of the dragons and their hunters. I was also able to get a real good read on all of the different characters to see what they were like. For example-Jacinda was a total natural in her draki form, but as a human she is awkward. Her emotions are awkward too, when she kisses Will and then abruptly pulls away its strange even if she has good reason. Tamra just seems like a bitch (excuse my language). She went out of her way to intentionally hurt her sister. Will felt genuine to me which I liked, and the other wise of Will was Cassian who felt like a stalker as did Xander.


I know I just threw a lot of names at you, but that makes up the basic cast of this book. Everyone seems to be their own person as opposed to other books where characters are indistinguishable from one another. This book didn't stir up strong emotions for me like other books have, but that doesn't mean that I was less compelled to finish the book or to read the next one.
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...