Sunday, December 23, 2012

Beautiful Lies

Author: Jessica Warman
Goodreads Rating: 3.73
My Rating: 3.75 Stars
Pages: 422
Reviewed by: Nicole

Rachel and Alice are an extremely rare kind of identical twins-so identical that even their aunt and uncle, whom they've lived with since their parents passed away, can't tell them apart. But the sisters are connected in a way that goes well beyond their surfaces: when one experiences pain, the other exhibits the exact same signs of distress. So when one twin mysteriously disappears, the other immediately knows something is wrong-especially when she starts experiencing serious physical traumas, despite the fact that nobody has touched her. As the search commences to find her sister, the twin left behind must rely on their intense bond to uncover the truth. But is there anyone around her she can trust, when everyone could be a suspect? And ultimately, can she even trust herself?
Master storyteller Jessica Warman will keep readers guessing when everything they see-and everything they are told-suddenly becomes unreliable in this page-turning literary thriller.
I found that despite difficulties at the start of the book, it was worth powering through because I did enjoy it in the end. Thats not to say that I liked the ending, I found that I enjoyed the journey through the book and through the mystery of who was missing and whatnot. I'm going to have to spoil this book just a little because otherwise this review will bet confusing reffering to them as "The Sister That Went Missing" and "The Sister That Didn't". I'm warning you that you will enter a do not fly zone with spoilers in the next paragraph.

This book started as such a mind-fuck in the first 100 pages that I almost put the book down. I was so confused about which sister was missing and which one wasn't all because they decided to switch places. There were times when Warman would intentionally not reveal which sister you were following just so that you would think it was the other. It was very effective storytelling, but in the end I just felt totally confused.

I can't deny that Warman is a masterful storyteller. She was able to keep the reader in the dark about what was really happening because of the mindset of the sister that wasn't missing. I loved learning about the fate of their parents and what actually happened with the girls. I will admit to having pinned the bad guy at the beginning, and I think it was just that I was unusually suspicious than usual because I also pinned the bad guy in TEN by Gretchen McNeil pretty quick.

This book was just like the show Ringer so for fans of the show that are missing it, this book is a great filler. I wish that the idea of the sisters sharing pain was explored further because that was what drew me to the book, but the explaination for me was sufficient. I didn't think that it was that much of a thriller but it was still a great and fun mystery.
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...