Wednesday, July 24, 2013

OCD Love Story

Author: Corey Ann Haydu
Goodreads Rating: 3.98
Pages: 352
Format: ARC from ALA13

When Bea meets Beck, she knows instantly that he's her kind of crazy. Sweet, strong, kinda-messed-up Beck understands her like no one else can. He makes her feel almost normal. He makes her feel like she could fall in love again. But despite her feelings for Beck, Bea can't stop thinking about someone else: a guy who is gorgeous and magnetic... and has no idea Bea even exists. But Bea knows a ton about him. She spends a lot of time watching him. She has a journal full of notes. Some might even say she's obsessed. Bea tells herself she's got it all under control, but this isn't a choice, it's a compulsion. The truth is, she's breaking down... and she might end up breaking her own heart.


This is one of those books where finding the right thing to say is actually really hard because at first I didn't enjoy the book. But then I really started to feel for Bea and everything that she was feeling and going through, she had all of these emotions, and she didn't know what to do with them.

Right off the bat Bea gave me an off feeling. I knew what I was getting into, the title doesn't hide anything about it, but Bea gave me an off feeling the way that she latched onto Beck right away. I think that to go into this book you need to get rid of any pre conceived notions that you may have had. You really need to learn to accept these characters for the crazy flaws that they have otherwise you will never be able to get through the beginning and see what an amazing story this is.

Bea was a great character, granted her obsession made my stomach churn at some points, but I felt badly for her that this terrible event happened to her and triggered this response that got her hung up on people. I otherwise found her funny and sweet how she tried so hard to make all of the things in her life fit including her obsession with this man and her relationship with a sweet boy.

I felt that the characters were well developed. I kept rooting for her therapist to make a break through and see what Bea was really up to, and I wanted Beck to realize how what he was doing was really hurting them both, and lastly I wanted her best friend to go shove it. I was rooting for each of these characters to grow through the book and grow they did.

This was an amazing story of this girl who swam through the river Denial, and managed to survive it. This roller coaster is one that you need to be prepared for, and before you go cry "Instalove!" remember that this is a girl who has a problem with getting attached to people, so before you judge it to harshly, give it a chance.
The Courts Decision:

Nicole

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I already read a review of this book yesterday, but yours make me want to read it more. It sounds mysterious and different. I think I shall like. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I need to read this soon because you loved it so! Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...