Friday, August 29, 2014

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1)

Author: Marissa Meyer
Goodreads Rating: 4.11
Pages: 390
Format: Final Copy
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

I love this book!!! Granted I love everything that has a fairy tale likeness to it but this went so above and beyond my expectations!

First of all, (as stated before), I love anything and everything that has roots in any fairy tale (Grimm's or Disney, doesn't matter). This was such a clever plot idea that had it's similarities to the original fairy tale (in this case, obviously, Cinderella) but still stood on it's own as an independent story. Let's face it, fairy tale retellings are cool, but I was excited to see that this book had a unique story line I could love but still had connections to the fairy tale :)

With that being said about the plot, I love the whole idea of this plague (I am a huge dystopian fan and if it involves a virus or sickness, just call me fangirl!) and of course the threat from the Lunars. Everything is just so exciting and it makes you want to just keep reading to see what will happen next.

Cinder is also a great character. She is caring and is, thankfully, far more bold than the original Cinderella. I love her relationship with her sister, Peony, and her friend/assistant Iko (who is just adorable!). Overall, she's not my absolute favorite heroine but she is definitely one of the top :) Also, while we are talking about characters, Kio made a pretty good love interest :) The whole idea of a prince falling in love with a commoner is kind of over told but they made it work :) I thought, "Oh yes it will be cute when they fall in love and yay happily ever after" but as I started reading more of the book (and especially at the end) I was really rooting for them! They have some struggles (aside from him being a prince)but I really liked how I could really feel how relaxed they both were around each other. The love story also wasn't too overbearing and in your face. It wasn't the typical "Oh hey I just met you and this is crazy but I love you so marry me maybe?" thing that typical fairy tales seem to have. And there wasn't any Twilight-ness where they couldn't live without the other one, which is always nice. Love story was there (because come on it is a fairy tale based story) but it wasn't the main focus.

Overall, the book was fabulous and I am now off to buy the next book. I can't wait to see what else happens to Cinder and Kio in the next books (which was also a shock to me. I thought they were going to be separate books but was pleasantly surprised to see that they are all connected ^.^) This book gets a 4.5 from me (there was a little predictability that went beyond the typical "well that's what happened in the fairy tale version", which I'm happy didn't occur too much). Happy reading!

The Court's Decision:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...