Monday, January 2, 2012

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3)

Author: Suzanne Collins
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.08/5
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Pages: 390



With the newfangled technology that is the Nook, I was able to buy Mockingjay as soon as I finished Catching Fire. On one hand I was super excited to jump right into the series, on the other hand, I wish I had more time to digest Catching Fire and enjoy the series more. A lot of comment about this book was that it wasn't nearly as good as the other books, but it was still an amazing book.


Synopses from Goodreads.com:


Young Katniss Everdeen has survived the dreaded Hunger Games not once, but twice, but even now she can find no relief. In fact, the dangers seem to be escalating: President Snow has declared an all-out war on Katniss, her family, her friends, and all the oppressed people of District 12. The thrill-packed final installment of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy will keep young hearts pounding.


My review after the jump!

There were a handful of things that bothered me about this book. There was the transformation of Katniss from this fearless girl who took the places of her sister into this girl who spend two thirds of the book in the hospital. I understand that she was only 17 as the events of the last two took took place, but honestly, the fact that they made her such a victim was irritating. 


In this book there is a full out war between the Capital and District 13 that is spreading to the other districts. Katnisses district has been bombed and is gone and the other districts aren't in better shape. At first there are a lot of problems such as Katniss' unwillingness to help out the cause, but once they do get her on board the action picks up. It goes from mostly being a mental battle in her head to action, back to the inner battle, to action, and then again this mental battle. 


Perhaps one of the most upsetting events in this book is what happens with Peeta and what the Capital does to him when they have him in their power. It's actually heartbreaking since I've always been a big supporter of Katniss and Peeta as a real couple. This particular book had more of a Gale/Katniss vibe to it as it progressed even as Peeta and Katniss were reunited. 


One of the hardest things in this book was following the different characters and names. There were just so many of them and they were all so weird. One of the best things about reading with my Nook was that in the event I forgot who someone was, I could go to the "Find" feature by tapping the bottom of the touch screen and typing in the name that I was unsure about. I had to do that in Catching Fire with Seneca Crane because for the life of me, I couldn't remember who he was. 


If you thought that the first two books were bloody, you haven't seen anything until you see the body count in this one. It was like the hits never stopped coming. I'm not sure if I didn't give myself enough time to fall in love with these characters, but I didn't cry reading this book as one might think. (Given I keep crying when I read.) There was one death that almost brought me to tears but since it was hardly mentioned, I hardly grieved.


Apparently there were plot holes that people had problems with, but I personally didn't see any, but I do think that this is a book that I will have to re-read because reading it in one night was just way too much. My same recommendation stands, everyone should read this series, thought I think 14 and older is more ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...