Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Walking Dead Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye

Author: Robert Kirkman
Illustrated by: Tony Moore
Goodreads Rating: 4.25/5
My Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
Pages: 144


I decided to read this graphic novel even though I am currently watching the show The Walking Dead, but when I was helping out at Barnes and Noble and I was wrapping presents, I found myself without a book to read, and my friend suggested this. At first I was going to wait until the show ended, but who knows how long that was going to be so I dove in and finished it in 30 minutes (with wrapping in between). It wasn't hard since I've been completely obsessed with zombies for the last few weeks.


Synopses from Goodreads.com:


An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe, causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months, society has crumbled: There is no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. Rick Grimes finds himself one of the few survivors in this terrifying future. A couple months ago he was a small town cop who had never fired a shot and only ever saw one dead body. Separated from his family, he must now sort through all the death and confusion to try and find his wife and son. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally begin living.


My review after the jump! Spoilers Ahead!

This is going to be one of my shorter posts since this wasn't terribly long. I really really love the show but I was curious about how the book was next to the show. There's a lot more in the series obviously, but Season one ends shortly after the first volume ends. I didn't want to  read the second one yet, at least not until the second season ends. 


I think one of the reasons I really liked this book was because I cannot STAND Shane. He pisses me off beyond belief and when Carl shot him in the neck, I was so happy. But thats the end, so let me go back to the beginning. We are introduced to Rick who has just come out of a coma and has no idea what is happening. He encounters a few zombies when he is saved by a stranger living in his neighbors house, they help each other out Rick by giving this stranger guns and this stranger by taking Rick in. They part ways with Rick heading to Atlanta hoping to find his wife and son.


He is found in Atlanta by a young man named Glenn who helps to get him out of the city without being eaten. Glenn brings Rick back to his base camp in the mountains outside of Atlanta where he finds his family. It isn't outright said that his wife, Lori slept with Shane, his best friend, but it is played up in the show. 


It is wonderfully drawn and a lot of fun to see the aftermath of what the world would be like and how people survive in the aftermath. I'm hoping that in future volumes they get into how this all started and what is happening in the rest of the world.


Graphic Novel Vs. The Show


I really like both the show and the books, and they aren't that different. The major differences are characters that aren't in the books such as T-Dog and Daryl. The elaboration on specific events was also good too. I know for sure that I will be reading the rest of this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...