Thursday, October 2, 2014

The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave #1)

Author: Rick Yancey
Goodreads rating: 4.14
Pages: 480
Format: Final copy BEA13
After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker.

Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

 The one thing I can definitely say about this book is that it's like the Walking Dead.... but with ALIENS!

The book is like a diary for the main characters. Each section focuses on either Cassie or Ben, kind of telling the story from two view points. This was actually really cool and, if done correctly, I love when authors do it. It really makes you feel like you are getting the whole story (and specifically to this book, love how you had to figure out what character you were reading about in each section :) ).It took me a bit to get into the book and understand what was going on. I felt like I had picked up the 2nd or 3rd book in a series (I literally had to look on Goodreads just to make sure I wasn't in the middle of a series). But once I realized what was going on, I got into it.... a lot :) Rest assured Cassie does go back to describe what happened before the book starts.

The aliens remind me of the Host (how they are pure consciousness that are "downloaded" into people when they are babies, and who absorb the "human" part of their host). I liked the other characters as well and I really did love how Cassie would do anything for her brother, and how Ben was continuously trying to make up for losing his sister. It really had a kind of Walking Dead apocalypse feel, where you can't even be sure you can trust people anymore.

There is so much action and betrayal too that will make you nuts! The whole book is just juicy >.< The ending however, I am a little iffy on; I'm not too sure I like the whole Ben and Cassie thing happening so quickly.

So this book is part of a series (the first book contrary to my original belief) and I can't wait to see what happens next!!!

The Court's Decision:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...