Friday, January 25, 2013

Darker Still

Author: Leanna Rene Hieber
Goodreads Rating: 3.69
Pages: 317
Format: Finished Copy from BEA12


I was obsessed.
It was as if he called to me, demanding I reach out and touch the brushstrokes of color swirled onto the canvas. It was the most exquisite portrait I'd ever seen--everything about Lord Denbury was unbelievable...utterly breathtaking and eerily lifelike.
There was a reason for that. Because despite what everyone said, Denbury never had committed suicide. He was alive. Trapped within his golden frame.
I've crossed over into his world within the painting, and I've seen what dreams haunt him. They haunt me too. He and I are inextricably linked--bound together to watch the darkness seeping through the gas-lit cobblestone streets of Manhattan. Unless I can free him soon, things will only get Darker Still.

I really liked the concept of this book. The whole idea behind someone being trapped in a picture frame was really great because of how it paralleled with the idea that photographs could steal your soul when they first come to light. I also really liked that it reminded me of the Season One Charmed episode where Prue is appraising a painting that has people stuck in it. 

I really enjoyed Natalie and how she struggled with her muteness. I was a little curious how they were going to include her in dialogue at first, but Hieber does a great job in adding the signing that Natalie and Evelyn use to communicate. Within that bond, I love how Evelyn seemed to become like a surrogate mother to Natalie in the absence of her own mother.

As a historian, I appreciated being brought into this wonderful age of Manhattan with the carriages and the beautiful ornate dresses. As I was reading this, I kept thinking that this was the perfect holdover until I get to the next Something Strange and Deadly book. All of the mysticism and the wonderful dresses and strong females, I loved it.

I loved how strong Natalies voice was when it came to trying to figure out what got Lord Denbury stuck in the image and how she wasn't afraid to fight back against the bad guy in this book. I love how she tried to make new friends and how she did her best. I enjoyed this book a lot.



The Courts Decision:


Nicole

1 comment:

  1. Liked the idea of the book. Made me think of the old movie Witches--labeled as a kids' movie, but the witches were a little too scary for small kids.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...