Friday, January 11, 2013

Deviants


Author: Maureen McGowan
Goodreads Rating: 4.29
Pages: 318
Format: ARC from BEA12


In a post-apocalyptic world, where the earth is buried by asteroid dust that’s mutated the DNA of some humans, orphaned, sixteen-year-old Glory must protect her younger brother and escape the domed city that’s been her entire world.
Outside in the ruins, they’re pursued by the authorities and by sadistic, scab-covered Shredders who are addicted to the lethal-to-humans dust now covering the planet. Glory’s quests to transport herself and her brother to safety make up the thrilling and fascinating first volume of The Dust Chronicles.

I'm still trying to peace out how I feel about this book. For starters I almost gave up on it. There was a little too much Insta-love in my face in the first 100 pages, and it wasn't subtle either.  I was drawn to this book because of the really interesting concept, but I just couldn't connect to the story.


Again, the concept was really interesting specifically the people with powers and the whole dust thing and Shredders. I really wasn't a fan of Glory's power, it was cool, but like, she could kill you with her eyes, it was a little bit eh, especially when she was killing the rats starting at them intently.


I felt that there were just way too many elements in this book. You have the post-apocalypse world, then you have zombie like inhuman creatures, then there is this whole X-Men thing going on, while also dealing with a super (and I mean like crazy) suppressive goverment that requires you to get a dating license, and PDA is a punishable offense. 


I didn't hate Glory, but I didn't like her too much either, she jumped to a lot of conclusions and that irritated me. Her brother was pretty chill and Burn wasn't bad. His deviance just made me think that he was the Incredible Hulk, and that just didn't help me love this book. I haven't decided if I'm going to read the next in the series, probably will if it lands in my lap. This was a super quick read (10 pages in 4 minutes, that almost feels like a new record.) So it is worth giving it a shot. Some people seemed to have really enjoy this book.



The Courts Decision:

Nicole

3 comments:

  1. I read the summary and decided I wouldn't read before I read your review...
    It doesn't sound like it is anything new...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The summary seemed really good until I read your review. It sounds like a lot is going on, which is okay with me unless the story isn't executed well. In this case, it seems as though the story wasn't done up to its potential, which is too bad. :/ I don't know if I'll try it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's Happening i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I have
    found It absolutely useful and it has aided me
    out loads. I hope to contribute & aid different customers like its aided me.

    Great job.

    Feel free to surf to my page - weight loss clinic

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...