Monday, January 28, 2013

Under The Never Sky


Author: Veronica Rossi
Goodreads Rating: 4.13
Pages: 374
Format: Hardcover from Personal Library


Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.
Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.
A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

I enjoyed this book. I first got this book when I went to a Dark Days book signing at Books Of Wonder. It was somewhat on the radar, but it wasn't something that I was actively seeking out. I kept putting this book off, and then off and then off until I went to NYCC12 and I got a copy of the sequel. 

I was absolutely captivated by this book. I was a little confused because I was expect a slightly more scifi book, but it was still something that I enjoyed reading. I liked getting to know Aria as she had to navigate this world that was so different from her own. I felt a little disoriented as we were thrown into this different world. There was talk of Coms and Realms and all these different things.

I like that the beginning really grabbed you with this super intense action with a fire and meeting this stranger. I was a little confused as things happened, but mostly that cleared up as we got to know Aria and their world. I still don't fully understand what the Aether is and what caused it. I felt bad about Aria being dropped into the outside world, but I felt that it was a really important experience for her.

As a character, Aria sort of irritated me at first, she was blind to the world. She had no idea what was going on outside of her own world, and I totally understand that this is the world that she lived in, but she was pretty rude to Perry when she made it out considering he helped to keep her alive. I also felt that Perry was rude to her when she made the effort to try to make things better between them. I was annoyed by how childish she was towards her mother as well, but I suppose that is something that all teenagers do.

I loved that Perry was so true to his family, that he was so devoted to his nephew and that even though he disagreed with his brother he tried to go with what Vale wanted. I loved that he was devoted to Liv and Roar and Talon and the rest of the Tides. I was annoyed by how rude he was to Aria as they first began their trek to Delphi.

I absolutely adored Marron and Roar and how they welcomed Aria despite the fact that she was a dweller. I loved how flamboyant and into history Marron was because I love me lots of history. And how could I not love Roar? Honestly, I think that I loved Roar more than I liked Perry because while we did get to see more of Perry than Roar, I couldn't help but love Roar's long standing devotion to Liv.

I'm interested to see what the second book is going to bring and I'm eager to see if we're going to learn more about the different tribes and how this whole world came to be. I felt that there needed to be more details on how our world came to be the way that it was. The ending left us with something of a hook (How could it not) and I'm hoping that it will all get resolved in the next book.
The Courts Decision:


Nicole

4 comments:

  1. The book just irritated me overall. I read it because a lot of people were raving about it and saying all these good things about it, but I was disappointed by the book.

    New follower, follow back? www.myviewpointonbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this book. It was very close to perfect for me. Aria did irritate me at first but she has changed a lot during the book. At first, she was blind and ignorant, but her journey made her face the reality. When she started to realize what is really going on on the outside world, I could see how brave, smart and sensitive she is, and that made me love her.

    I have already bought Through the Ever Night. Can't wait to read it!
    I love your blog and your review! (:
    Sapir @ www.WimpyTeenGirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED Under the Never Sky so I'm thrilled that you liked it too! The characters are amazing. I've read the second book and I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed. Roar-tastic, let me tell you. Great review!

    Sunny @ Blue Sky Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted a review of this one earlier today also. :) I really enjoyed it!
    Great blog! Follow me back @ sychofaeriesbookobsession.blogspot.com

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...