Tuesday, September 18, 2012

TEN

Author: Gretchen McNeil
Goodreads Rating: 4.29
My Rating: 4 Stars
Pages: 304
Reviewed By: Nicole

I was so excited to check out TEN when I heard that it was going to be at BEA, so this was one of my "Must Haves" when I went. Clearly I got a copy, and I was so glad that I did for a few reasons that I'll tell you below.

Goodreads Synopses:

And their doom comes swiftly.

It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?


So, I'm really glad I got this in the galley format because had it been hardcover, I think it would have been harder to lay on my bed on the cruise and read it while trying to maneuver my body under the covers without using my hands. No joke, I couldn't stop reading, not even for a pee break. Thats the best endorsement you're ever going to get. Quote that on the book. But in all seriousness, I refused to leave the bed until I knew who the killer was. My logic, of course, was that if I didn't finish the book then the killer was going to get me before I found out who it was.

Logic. 

Anyway, the beginning was a little slow in my opinion, mostly because Meg and Minnie got confusing, and I was being introduced to this whole cast of characters within the first 3 chapters which I can understand why it had to be done, but I found myself confusing a few people as I went. I also think part of that has to do with how little we know about these characters. When the first person was offed my first thought was "I don't remember this person," mostly because they were unmemorable to me. Once you get everyone straight, its super easy to follow.

I won't say who it was, but I had out killer pinned almost from the start but not exactly. I had my suspicions, but then again, as you go through the book, everyone looks suspicious. That was one of the things that I loved about this book was that it made you question even the nicest people in the way of the killer.

The plot was still wonderfully drawn, although from my understanding this book was a re-telling of Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None". I have never read this book, and I don't think that I will. I enjoyed TEN for being the suspenseful, edge of my seat book that I wanted it to be. As much as we didn't get a deep characterization for most people, it didn't matter, chances were they were going to bite the dust faster than it takes to sneeze. 

All in all, this book is action packed with suspense and mystery which is all great fun when it comes to teenagers on an island. It was a really quick read (I finished it in a night) and an enjoyable one at that. I found myself on edge while I progressed through the story, and I'm sure you will too.


I selected this post to be featured on Book Review Blogs. Please visit the site and vote for my blog!
Nicole

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I liked it too. I think the book would make a nice movie.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...