Monday, March 18, 2013

Dark Star


Author: Bethany Frenette
Goodreads Rating: 3.81
Pages: 368
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Audrey Whitticomb has nothing to fear. Her mother is the superhero Morning Star, the most deadly crime-fighter in the Twin Cities, so it's hard for Audrey not to feel safe. That is, until she's lured into the sweet night air by something human and not human--something with talons and teeth, and a wide, scarlet smile. Now Audrey knows the truth: her mom doesn't fight crime at night. She fights Harrowers--livid, merciless beings who were trapped Beneath eons ago. Yet some have managed to escape. And they want Audrey dead, just because of who she is: one of the Kin. To survive, Audrey will need to sharpen the powers she has always had. When she gets close to someone, dark corners of the person's memories become her own, and she sometimes even glimpses the future. If Audrey could only get close to Patrick Tigue, a powerful Harrower masquerading as human, she could use her Knowing to discover the Harrowers' next move. But Leon, her mother's bossy, infuriatingly attractive sidekick, has other ideas. Lately, he won't let Audrey out of his sight. When an unthinkable betrayal puts Minneapolis in terrible danger, Audrey discovers a wild, untamed power within herself. It may be the key to saving her herself, her family, and her city. Or it may be the force that destroys everything--and everyone--she loves.


Wow. When I first saw this book, I knew that I needed to have it. Not just wanted it, I needed it. So when I got it and started reading it, I was thrilled to see that it was everything that I ever wanted. It was not just a great story, but it was well written and absolutely amazing. I don't think I can even hold back form all the gushing that I want to do.

So, for me I went into this book knowing that it wasn't going to be about superhero's because you just need to read the description closely, and it talks about the Harrowers which hints at it being more about paranormals and less about superheros. To really enjoy this book, you can't go into it thinking thats its all superheros.

Its a bit of a bummer, but if you're focused on that its more important to look past and see the other really awesome things about this book. Like the murder mystery surrounding a bunch of missing girls and this group of people called the Kin and their skills and purpose in life and how that connects to the missing/murdered girls. How does this relate to Audrey, you ask? They are her people.

I'm going to step back from lecturing on why you should love this book and go back to why I did. I love Audrey, she wasn't this weak girl who was just going to step back and just take what happened to her. I will admit that I wanted to hit her because she did run into things blindly, but I loved her good intentions.

I loved all of the supporting cast including Tink, Gideon, Leon and her knew cousins. I loved that there was no instalove, in fact, there really was no romance in this until the very end which made me happy that this book was more about empowerment and less about falling in love.


The Courts Decision:

Nicole

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to read this. I've had an ARC of Dark Star for almost a year now, but I keep putting it off because I haven't heard anything about it really. I'll definitely be reconsidering it now!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five stars! This sounds great. I love mystery and paranormals blended together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also liked this book. Not quite as much as you but it was good and it was definitely different than whats been out there.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...