Monday, March 4, 2013

What's Left of Me


Autor: Kat Zhang
Goodreads Rating: 3.86
Pages: 343
Format: ARC from BEA12
I should not exist. But I do.
Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .
For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.


I felt that this book had such an original concept, but I was a little bit jarred when I first started to read it. I think what confused me most was that I didn’t really realize it was just an alternate of our world. Everything else was mosty the same except this whole twin souls thing. Or maybe it is supposed to be somewhere in the future, but either way, that was what was confusing for me. What perhaps interests me most (and that we will find out in a future book) is how these two souls came or be a thing (but I guess if its just an alternate of our world, then its just always been a thing)


I think what would have been challenging in this book would be how to present the different thoughts and dialogue of Eva and Addie, but Kat Zhang did a great job by presenting Eva’s voice with <this>. So clever.

I loved following the two girls stories and seeing how they both struggled with Eva’s existence. Sometimes it was hard to see how Eva was just trapped only able to think while Addie, in a way, whined about having Eva there. I have to say I wasn’t favorable to Addie. While I could understand her anger with Eva, I still didn’t find it fair that it was Eva that was the one unable to feel. But kudos to her for giving her sister a chance to try to find herself.

I think the most creepy part of this book was how the hybrids were entirely different people and you could notice the change between the different personalities. I can’t wait to find out more about them, and how they function. I also liked that romance wasn’t a big part of this book, and I think that hasa lot to do with how to navigate the different personalities. It had to be awkward for Eva and Ryan and Addie and Devon as they tried to figure out how to function.

All in all, I can’t wait for Zhang to hit us with the next book.



The Courts Decision:


Nicole

2 comments:

  1. This books sounds a lot like Stephenie Meyer's THE HOST (which is one of my favorite books EVER), so I really don't know why I've put off reading it! I need to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world and how it was set up was confusing for me also. I couldn't figure out if it was supposed to be the future or just an alternate, like you said. The was in the back of mind through most of the story (because I really wanted to know!) and it distracted me a little.
    It wasn't one of my favorites but by the end I was so curious about some things that I'll be reading the sequel to see if my questions get answered.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...