Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicals #2)

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)Author: Marissa Meyer
Goodreads Rating: 4.46
Pages: 454
Format: ARC


Cinder returns in the second thrilling installment of the New York Times-bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother and the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she has no choice but to trust him, though he clearly has a few dark secrets of his own.

As Scarlet and Wolf work to unravel one mystery, they find another when they cross paths with Cinder. Together, they must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen who will do anything to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner.


Well, Meyer did it again. I was in love with the second book in the Lunar Chronicles, I loved the new characters, I loved the new settings, there was just so much to adore about this book and I don’t even know where to start talking about it.  I do know that I can say that I can’t wait to get my hands on Cress, because I can’t wait to see what Cinder and her new friends are going to do. If you haven’t read Cinder, do not read any further.



I expected the book to be a little different, namely because the synopses talks about Scarlet and Cinder joining together, but that seems to be more like the plot for the third book than this one because the two don’t cross paths until the last 100 pages. I liked that we got to know the two of them separately before they joined together. They both had quite the journeys to meet one another. I liked getting to know Scarlet and her temperament as she and Wolf worked together to find her grandmother.



Scarlet was pretty great, although there were times I wanted throttle her for being stupid about something. I think I was less forgiving about her actions than other characters in different books because she was supposed to be 18, which meant that her poor decision making was not okay. I loved her devotion to finding her grandmother and how much she didn’t want to give up on finding her alive and saving her. I wanted her to find her grandmother through the entire book. I thought that it was great the way that it related to the original fairy tale.



I really loved some of the surprises that I didn’t see coming that I just won’t talk about. I felt bad for Cinder as she had to struggle with the bomb that she was really the lost Lunar Princess. I liked that she struggled with this fact. That she wasn’t super accepting of this fact, nor was she super crazy and freaked out. She took it in and tried to figure out, holy crap, now what does this mean for me and my life and she had to decide what she was going to do now that she knew it. It was a given that she was going to do something about it, but I loved that she didn’t just jump to that decision she let it come gradually.

 I loved how the plot progression was just right. We weren't overloaded with information and we were introduced to everyone at a good pace. I liked that every bit of new information was sort of like an Oreo, delicious all around and even better at the core of it. We learned so many new things about Cinder and what was going on around her and between these two worlds. I just can't wait to see what is going to happen with the latest of developments.


I adored the boys that we were introduced to this book including the Captain and Wolf. Both of them were different and not the usual type of guy. I’m hoping that it doesn’t turn into a love triangle with Cinder and Kai and the Captain. That, I think, would somewhat kill the book for me because I really just want to not have to deal with that. I feel that Meyer has created this amazing world and that she doesn’t need to sully it up with YA cliché’s. I love this really original concept, and I’m eager to see where the series is going to go next. 
The Courts Decision:
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...