Sunday, February 5, 2012

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files Book 2)

Author: Jim Butcher 
Goodreads rating: 3.96 
My rating: 4.5/5 
Pages: 342 
Reviewed by: Amy 

Synopsis: 
Business has been slow. Okay, business has been dead. And not even of the undead variety. You would think Chicago would have a little more action for the only professional wizard in the phone book. But lately, Harry Dresden hasn't been able to dredge up any kind of work—magical or mundane. 

But just when it looks like he can't afford his next meal, a murder comes along that requires his particular brand of supernatural expertise. 



A brutally mutilated corpse. Strange-looking paw prints. A full moon. Take three guesses—and the first two don't count... 

Review after the jump:


 This is the second book in the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher and it's just as good, if not better, than the first book! I love this series overall because of the mystery mixed with fantasy twist. I love a good old fashion murder mystery but adding fantasy elements like wizards I think is genius. 

Harry Dresden himself is a sarcastic, cunning and fantastic character and one of the main reason I feel in love with the books. He isn't perfect (he makes major mistake and has some flaws) and doesn't pretend to be but what good is a character who's perfect right?? 

Now that I'm done raving about the series in general, I'll mention some specifics I liked about the book. I started off reading this book as an audiobook (narrated by Jim Marsters and later I was told that he is the voice of Spike from Buffy and Angel so if you're a fan, check him out). Jim Marsters does a fantastic job narrating and it helped a lot that the book is told from the first person point of view as Harry. The voice, in my opinion, matched perfectly with what I envisioned (plus he gives an amazingly funny accent to Bob, Harry's skull spirit friend). Unfortunately, my audiobook broke part way through the story so I had to continue the old fashioned way. 

The book had a lot of twists and turns that I never saw coming. Now with that out there, there were some parts where I did predict what was going to happen but the ending always throws me for a loop. The action scenes are brilliantly described and full of excitement that you won't want to put the book down. The fairly short chapters help with this as well. I found myself saying "OK one more chapter" all the time. 

The book also called up some personal views on human ethics that I thought was interesting. Should a person take the law into his/her own hands? Killing people who have killed and hurt other and who have the power to laugh in the face of the law? You see the characters struggle with this, especially Harry, for parts of the book and I thought it was really interesting. Also the fact that the bad guys, may not always be as bad as they seem

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...