Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Touched


Author: Corinne Jackson
Goodreads Rating: 4.29
Pages: 343


Remy O’Malley heals people with touch—but every injury she cures becomes her own. Living in a household with an abusive stepfather, she has healed untold numbers of broken bones, burns,and bruises. And then one night her stepfather goes too far.
Being sent to live with her estranged father offers a clean start and she is eager to take it. Enter Asher Blackwell. Once a Protector of Healers, Asher sacrificed his senses to become immortal. Only by killing a Healer can a Protector recover their human senses. Falling in love is against the rules between these two enemies. Because Remy has the power to make Protectors human again, and when they find out, they’ll becoming for her—if Asher doesn’t kill her first.

 So this book was pretty good. It probably would have been a full five stars for this book had there not been two variables that irritated me, but I'll get to those in a bit. I was thinking that this would be a pretty quick read, but it wound up having so much information that it was the type of book that you had to pay attention to, which isn't a bad thing, Every detail that Jackson included was important for the plot and for the characters.

Remy was really likeable, although it was frustrating that she played the victim a lot. I can understand that she was an abusive situation, but there were times when she could have remedied what was going on by not putting herself there, and she didn't. I also understand that it was to protect her mother, which was pretty tragic, so I can forgive her a little for her acts of stupid bravery. Thing number one that bugged me most, the falsehoods about the police. 

I understand that this is a fictional world, but in New York, were parts of the book take place, if there is an act of domestic violence, the police are required by law to arrest the offending spouse and make a police report. They are required to remove all firearms from the premises, and get an order of protection depending on the severity of the domestic violence incident. There is no more "Sorry Officer, I ran into a door, thats why my face is bleeding" crap you see on TV. While there is only so much they can do, what happened with Remy and her mother could have been fixed somewhat.

But I digress, I have to disclose, I worked in a District Attorney Office in NY as well as taking criminal law classes, this happens to be something I know well as I've had to look into these files and find out what happened.

I was glad that there wasn't insta-love. I forgave Remy's obsession with Asher because it was more of an attraction. What was frightening was the Twilight flashbacks I started to get as new girl Remy watched Asher and his perfect sister at their lunch table as she got to know her new friends. The flashbacks continued as we learn more about Asher and his Protector status, his immortality, and strange strength and speed. Really all he was missing was being undead and sparkling. Even the cover makes me nervous now as I look at it. Part number two that frustrated me was the number of "I love you"s just a few too many.

I really loved the cast of characters that came into this book. I really also adored how Remy worked on the relationship with her father and how rather than be a bitch stepmom, Laura took care and cared for Remy as she fought to have her place in the family even though Lucy was the most welcoming sister ever. I really can't wait for the next book.

Edit: I realized that some people may take the Twilight reference negatively, I didn't mean it that way at all, just that I saw some parallels, I loved this book so much more, so, yeah, don't judge based on that comment. *Concerned*


The Courts Decision:
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...