Thursday, May 28, 2015

Copper Girls (Copper Legacy #1)

Author: Jennifer Allis Provost
Goodreads rating: 3.42
Pages: 248
Sara had always been careful.
She never spoke of magic, never associated with those suspected of handling magic, never thought of magic, and never, ever, let anyone see her mark. After all, the last thing she wanted was to end up missing, like her father and brother.
Then, a silver elf pushed his way into Sara's dream, and her life became anything but ordinary.


FABULOUS! I devoured this book so fast, I barely stopped to make notes on it. Jennifer Provost has created a fantastic magical world that I can't help but read more about!

The world she creates is really amazing. We are in a world where magic used to be common and you were either born with it or you worked to develop it. Then, the people who were born without magical abilities, Mundanes, felt a disadvantage and prejudice from those born with magic. A lot of history lessons later, we find a world that has banned all forms of magic. Sara, a member of one of the most powerful Elemental families and control over copper, fights to conceal her magic abilities, lest she be arrested by the government like her brother. All this becomes difficult when she meets Micah, an elf who has the control over silver from the Otherworld (where magic is free to exist), comes to her in her dreams.

The characters are all amazing. There really isn't one I can honestly say I dislike. Sara is witty, independent and does whatever it takes to protect the people she loves. Although I'm not a huge fan of how fast Sara and Micah hit it off, I have to admit if a sexy elf came to me in my dreams and then in person the way he did with Sara... I probably wouldn't be very resistant to the idea either (Plus it is hinted to the fact that "true mates" attract to each other quite rapidly). We journey with Sara and Micah as they try to find out what has happened to Sara's brother and father while also avoiding government detection and planning to overthrow the repressive government.

I really like the people controlling elements idea, as well as people having certain personality traits based on what element they control. For example, people who control fire are typically quick to anger and earth users are usually stubborn. This all reminded me of the TV show Avatar: The Last Airbender (and the conflict between the magic users and nonmagic users reminded me of Legend of Korra).


Though the beginning of the book does info-dump a bit, throwing a lot of information at you at once, I enjoyed it since it allowed me to dive right into the story and pick up where the characters are. Some people may find this annoying but I liked it :) I don't enjoy being confused on how worlds work in some fantasy books and Provost, in my opinion, helped me avoid that.

I highly enjoyed this book, the characters the world, everything! Words can't even describe everything I loved with this book (without spoilers anyway) but I can't wait to read the next book to see how the adventure continues. Will they find Sara's father? Will they succeed in overthrowing the government? Hopefully some of these questions will be answered in the next installment :)

The Court's Decision:
 











1 comment:

  1. Great review! I have never heard of this book. It sounds really good! I love a fantasy with a very unique magic system.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...