Thursday, January 28, 2016

Review: Winter

Author: Marissa Meyer
Goodreads Rating: 4.54
Pages: 824
Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.

Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.

Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?

 This is it.... The epic finale of the Lunar Chronicles... and it was absolutely everything I hoped it would be and so much more. This review contains some spoilers but I will clearly mark sections that contain spoilers. Just look for the ******** Warning**********

One thing I have loved about Meyer is she creates characters you absolutely love. They aren't perfect by any means and you really bond with them. Their joys are your joys. Their pain is your pain. Winter is no exception. You feel for her and her sickness, but you also see why everyone loves her, and it's not just for her beauty. Being the last book in the series, the book focuses a lot on Cinder and the others as they work to overthrow Levana, so we don't see a lot of Winter (or at least not as much as I expected), but I definitely didn't hate it! I loved reading about every characters and never once thought "Oh my god, go back to __________'s story!" After everything, I can confidently say Cress/Thorne is my favorite couple ;) No matter who's your favorite pairing, you will rally enjoy watching all the relationships grow toward their happily ever after :')

The story itself is absolutely amazing! Everything is wrapped up with no loose ends (though I am still finding myself hoping and praying for another book that acts like an epilogue for everyone so we know what happened to them a few years down the road).

********WARNING! This paragraph contains Spoilers! Read at your own risk! ***************
Meyer also has an amazing way of relating back to the original stories. For example, we see more of the end of Cinder's story, and Meyer connects back to the fact that Cinderella had really small feet (see if you can see the relation ;) I love looking for the connections). I really enjoyed the "finding the person who fit the foot", as opposed to the slipper. Really cute and funny! Also, for Winter, a lot of people have been guessing at the connecting points, with many saying that Cinder and the gang were Winter's 7 dwarves. I never saw that until I read some reviews after I finished reading. I thought the 7 alpha/squads that Winter recruits were more on point to the 7 dwarves.

I also really liked that no one got married!!! Now, I wouldn't have minded if there was a wedding or two (or 4), but I liked the whole "Let's just live happily ever after" thing. As we saw with Kai, marriage doesn't always mean happiness, and I really liked that they all weren't rushing to get married. Makes it more relatable to me :)
******** END OF SPOILERS *******************************************************

Overall, a truly amazing finish to an amazing series! It has entered the ranks of one of the only books that has made me cry when I finished just for the sole fact that the series was over and I wasn't ready to let it go!! This is easily a series I would love to read over and over again! I can't wait to read more from Meyer :) (Including her collection of spin-off stories for the Lunar Chronicles, Stars Above, coming February 2!!!)
The Court's Decision:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...