Friday, October 26, 2012

Unspoken

Author: Sarah Rees Brennan
Goodreads Rating: 4.15
My Rating: 3.5 Stars
Pages: 370
Reviewed By: Nicole
Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.
But all that changes when the Lynburns return.
The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?

I was really sad when I finished this book for a few reasons, one being the ending (I won't say what, just that there is a second book) and two because I had high expectations for this book. I had seen lots of great ratings for this book, and I was hoping to love it too, but right off the bat I found myself struggling with to get into the book.

It was a super fun read trying to guess what the Lyburns were and following Kami as she sleuthed her way through the mystery of dead animals and other mischief. I couldn't wait to see what other problems would arise as Kami tried to solve the case. I could relate to her curiosity because I'm the same way just not to such an extent.

I really liked the idea of Kami and Jared's connection and how linked they were. I think it brought up a lot of interesting points as far as what they could trust about the feelings and how it felt to know that there was a real person out there that knew all of your secrets. I think I liked their relationship the most because it seemed to be the most dynamic. 

I did find myself laughing at the quirkyness of the characters, but there came a point where it was no longer quirky when everyone in the book was like that. Angela, Rusty, Kami and her family all seemed to have this witty banter, but when everyone is witty is it still witty banter or is it just a conversation? That being said, I still laughed and enjoyed Kami's father talking about needing a shotgun and Angela's perpetual quest for a nap.

I think that I'm still going to stick with the series because I am invest in it. I want to know what is going to happen next, I want to know how everything works out in the end. What will happen to Kami and her family and the Lyburns and Sorry- in- the- Vale. It was a cute read, and I think that this happened to be an unfortunate case of my taste not aligning with the book.
Nicole

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for such an insightful and facinating review. I added this book to my to-read list a while ago as i was not only captivated by its striking cover, but that it sounds totally origonal and different within a very diverse genre. I am very keen now to read it and form my own opinions on the storyline and the book as a whole. x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...