Monday, January 7, 2013

Poison

Author: Bridget Zinn
Goodreads Rating: 4.25
My Rating: 5 Stars
Reviewed by: Nicole
Pages: 288
Release Date: March 2013


Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction—which means she’s the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom’s future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend.
But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart… misses.
Now a fugitive instead of a hero, Kyra is caught in a game of hide-and-seek with the king’s army and her potioner ex-boyfriend, Hal. At least she’s not alone. She’s armed with her vital potions, a too-cute pig, and Fred, the charming adventurer she can’t stop thinking about. Kyra is determined to get herself a second chance (at murder), but will she be able to find and defeat the princess before Hal and the army find her?
Kyra is not your typical murderer, and she’s certainly no damsel-in-distress—she’s the lovable and quick-witted hero of this romantic novel that has all the right ingredients to make teen girls swoon.

This book is being published by Disney Hyperion and I received it from Bailey at IB Book Blogging, and so I have to thank for her giving me the chance to read this great book!

This book was absolutely precious. When I first hear about the book, there wasn't much information on it past that it was about a girl with poisons and an enchanted piglet. That alone sounded great, when I actually got to read the synopses, I got even more excited. I was so glad that this book lived up to everything that I wanted it to be. 

I loved being thrown into this world that Zinn created. Even though I really don't like fantasy, I felt at home with these characters because Zinn didn't just throw her creations at you without explaining them. It was easy to follow her potions and her explanations. One of my favorite tricks was the different potions that Kyra had during the course of the book.

One of my favorite potions or powders that Kyra had gave her the ability to unlock doors. I loved how innocent this book was and how it didn't have adult overtures. Usually there tends to be something about sex or real relationships, but even though Arianna (her best friend) was meant to be married and so was Kyra, it didn't feel all that adult.

I loved how Zinn managed to make things both exciting and and surprising. There were a few twists in there that I did not se coming, mostly at the end. When the book came to a close, I was glad that everything was tied neatly at the end. It did feel like there could have been more, but it did have a neat ending that does leave you satisfied.

There were a lot of cute twists and turns and I absolutely loved her enchanted piglet! There was a lot to love in this book, and I can't wait to get my hardcover copy when it does hit shelves in March. Of note, this novel is a standalone before you ask if there is going to be a second one, sadly Bridget Zinn passed away in 2011.
Nicole

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking forward to this book for a long time, ever since I first heard of it months back! Glad to hear you liked it; thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...