Friday, February 15, 2013

Prodigy (Legend #2)



Author: Marie Lu
Goodreads Rating: 4.46
Pages: 371
Format: ARC from BEA12


June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—-June and Day must assassinate the new Elector.
It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long.
But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?



I think I was suffering from a small reading hangover as well as exhaustion as I read this book. It totally blew me away, but I think that my excitement was totally hinged by the fact that I just want to pass out. I loved Legend, and I was excited to get this book when I went to BEA12. Funny story, I happened to be around the Penguin Booth when they made the drop and had to literally pull Kristan out of the mob that had surrounded the booth.


Anyway, I enjoyed this book. One of the reasons that I enjoyed Legend was because it was more of a militaristic dystopian as opposed to the ones that are just general dystopians. The second book in the series continued that trend even thought it was harder now that it was obvious that June had defected by saving Day.


This book also continued with the two points of view which was important when June and Day were separated so that they could complete their separate missions. I loved how that also accentuated that you were only getting one side of the story for the most part. With Day you saw the Patriots and their hatred for the Republic and all they they had done wrong, With June, you saw the new Elector and his feelings toward the Republic.


I felt bad for the development of the Day and June's relationship. Throughout the second book, it seems like their entire relationships were being tested for everything that they were. They had to put this almost theoretical trust in someone that they hardly knew while everyone around them was forcing them to question the true intentions of the other. Tess, of course, did not help things as she tried to whisper in Day’s ear how it was June’s fault for what happened to his family, and whole she was partially true, it was something that Day knew and that he had to decide for himself how it was going to affect his relationship with June.


I felt a little funny that we went from a regular relationship to a love triangle to a love quadrilateral. While I was glad to have Tess back in Day’s life because it was clearly paining him not to have her there, I hated how she tried to mettle and make what she wanted happen. I did however like Anden how his position as the new Elector was what brought him and June together. For awhile there I actually started to ship him with June rather than Day and June. I thought that they could be a good pair and maybe make some great changes.

I also felt that Day and June were just so young, maybe if the book had made them a teensy bit older, I would have felt better, but ehy both had to go through so much, not only to be together but to also try to make things better. If you consider in retrospect what Day had to do to keep his family fed and to work for the Patriots AND having to see his brother and mother killed, it feels like a lot for only a 15 year old to handle. The same goes to June who is now all alone in the world, to think back that she is only 15 is really hearbreaking and while both Day and June had to grow up in a very different world than I had to today it is still an amazing feat that these two were so mature. Like I said, I maybe would have felt better had they even been 16, but they are how old they are.

The amount of manipulations in this book was staggering and you really couldn’t really trust anyone in this book, you could really only trust Day and June because you could read their thoughts and know what their intentions were. I’m so excited for the last book and I can’t wait to get my hands on it. I’m hoping that its going to be at BEA13 so that maybe I’ll be able to devour it soon.
The Courts Decision:
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...