Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Through The Ever Night (Under The Never Sky #2)


Author: Veronica Rossi
Goodreads Rating: 4.44 
Pages: 352
Format: Signed ARC from NYCC12


It's been months since Aria last saw Perry. Months since Perry was named Blood Lord of the Tides, and Aria was charged with an impossible mission. Now, finally, they are about to be reunited. But their reunion is far from perfect. The Tides don't take kindly to Aria, a former Dweller. And with the worsening Aether storms threatening the tribe's precarious existence, Aria begins to fear that leaving Perry behind might be the only way to save them both.
Threatened by false friends, hidden enemies, and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, Can their love survive through the ever night?
In this second book in her spellbinding Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi combines fantasy and dystopian elements to create a captivating love story as perilous as it is unforgettable.



I got my copy of this ARC from the publisher at NYCC12. I wasn’t sure what to expect when I got there, but the first day they had ARCs of this book that were signed, and that was super awesome. Getting this book was what finally pushed me to read the first book in the series, so I appreciated the kick in the ass because not only was the first book really great, but the second book was just as good if not better. This series continued to defy expectations and break clichés. Since this book is the second in a series, you can expect spoilers from the first book. Read at your own risk.

The first book left off with Perry and Aria separated by her decision to find her mother and his to return to the Tides. Upon Aria’s return to the sector her mother was living in, she found out that everyone there had died, and that her mother was included in those numbers. When Perry returned to the Tides, he confronted his brother about selling Tide children to the Dwellers and he took control over the Tides. Both were very sad occasions and what made it more sad was that they were separated and had to deal with these things almost alone. We know that Aria was asked by Hess to go back and find the Still Blue and that Perry wanted to go out and find the Still Blue for the Tides. Their paths were bound to cross again.

And so they did right at the start of the book which was great. Rather than keep the lovers apart, Rossi chose to bring them back together after a span of maybe a month or two? I liked that they had this time apart to try to figure themselves out before deciding what to do. Aria was able to use that time to further develop her Aud abilities as well as decide what she was going to do about Hess. I was so glad that when she did finally join up with Perry again, she chose to tell him that Hess was using Talon as a means to find out where the Still Blue was rather than try to hide it from him as I have seen many books do. I feel like characters never seem to learn that keeping secrets is dangerous and bad when it comes to relationships and just plans going over well in general.

Aria and Perry in the Tides camp was really interesting. I’m not sure I would agree with Aria’s assessment that it was better to keep the Tides in the dark about their relationship, but I can also see why she wanted to. What was so unfortunate was that it seemed to come down to a race thing even though Aria was part Outsider. I wish that they had decided to be open with everyone, and maybe there wouldn’t have been an attempt on Aria’s life. Then again, maybe it just would have come sooner.

As much as Aria and Perry are great together, I thought that the platonic bond she formed with Roar was great and exactly what she needed. I felt like he was almost a big brother to her, and to see what type of relationship for Aria, where someone had her back was great. She also needed someone to be her confidant as she was ostracized by the Tides and she had to talk out her feelings toward Perry and what Hess was putting her through. The same went for him when he was desperately missing Liv and Roar had to contend with his own feeling about her.

So many big things happened in this book, and a lot of them were surprises that I would hate to spoil you with. Overall, this was even better and a great surprise with unexpected allies and enemies, and I can’t wait to see what is going to happen next. I still maintain that I want to know what the Aether is and how it came to be.



Nicole

2 comments:

  1. OK, seeing all these books you got at NYCC makes me insanely jealous. I really may take you up on your offer to let me crash with you in October to go! LOL

    I still need to read this book, but all the reviews I'm seeing are indicating I will adore it as much as Under the Never Sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be able to find good info from your articles.
    rozwiń, http://www.

    oz9edr.dk/guestbook/index.php

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...