Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Girl Who Was Supposed To Die

Author: April Henry
Goodreads Rating: 4.06
Pages: 224
Format: ARC from the Publisher


“Take her out back and finish her off.”
 
She doesn’t know who she is. She doesn’t know where she is, or why. All she knows when she comes to in a ransacked cabin is that there are two men arguing over whether or not to kill her.
And that she must run.
 
In her riveting style, April Henry crafts a nail-biting thriller involving murder, identity theft, and biological warfare. Follow Cady and Ty (her accidental savior turned companion), as they race against the clock to stay alive.


I requested this book from the publisher because this book sounded wicked cool. I’ve noticed that there have been a few books with this amnesia concept, but this one took that to a whole new level. This book had a really interesting plot as we followed Cady and tried to figure out who on earth would kidnap a teenager and do such awful things to her. When the book opens, she hardly has any idea of who she is and what she is capable of. I felt really bad for Cady as she struggled to find out who he was.

This book was incredibly short. It was under 200 pages, and that was both a good and a bad thing. It was great because it meant that the plot kept moving and there was little time to be bored by the book. At the same time though, I felt that the character development suffered in this respect. I felt that there was a lot of info dumping as far as what Cady’s life was like and what happened with Ty and his family. I wish that there had been more of a gradual introduction of information.

I liked that this book read like a movie. I could see it playing out in my head as I read, the way that she had to fight to get away from the bad guys and how she went through this mess trying to figure out what was going on. I thought that as Cady discovered what was going on, her reactions were very real regarding the threat that she was under. I didn’t think that she was overly vigilant or a total space case, I think that for the most part she had decent reactions and good instincts. (Although there were a few times that I was like “That’s your reaction?”)

I found the plot to be clever and really interesting. There were a few things that were predictable but I still found myself enjoying the book. Like I said, its really fast paced and a great read for an afternoon stuck in the house.
The Courts Decision:

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...