Friday, March 28, 2014

Allegiant (Divergent #3)

Author: Veronica Roth
Goodreads Rating: 3.65
Pages: 526
Format: Finished copy, Purchased.


The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories. 
But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love. 
Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.




I'm going to have to sit with my feelings on this book for awhile. The things that upset me most about this book were things that had more to do with not liking the decision a character made and less with not liking the book.

Clearly, if you haven't read the first two books, reading this review will be a little silly, so I would avoid it. This is going to be full of spoilers about the events of the first two books. So when we left off the second book, Tris had just revealed a video that exposed the reason that the factions were set up; there was a terrible war that they needed the Divergent to resolve so they sent people into Chicago to resolve this issue and that when the time was right an army of Divergent would leave and help heal the world.

When the book picks up Evelyn has taken over and is running the show with her factionless followers. While I love the name Evelyn, I did not like this Evelyn. She was manipulative and I thought that she for sure needed to get back to what was important which was Four, but she seemed more concerned with ending the factions than rebuilding her relationship with him.

Most of the book was set outside of our previous setting. I have to say that I didn't really like the plot of this book, the final overarching plot. I thought that it was a weak attempt to wrap it up, that Roth wrote herself into a corner where she now had to explain the factions. I was entirely on board with what was happening, and then we were given this entirely different plot line that I thought was just a clusterfuck. We never really got a final explanation.

I'm also going to give this book a rating for having provoked so many feelings. A book that can make you cry hysterically, that, that manages to keep this book's rating up. There are few books that have managed to make my cry so hard, and this is one of them.

I know a lot of people didn't like the ending, I was one of those people, but that is not why I didn't give this the stellar rating that I gave the first two books. Will I still go see the movie? Hell yes, I'm not going to let that change anything. I'm actually interested to see how they adapt the last book into a movie.
The Court's Decision:
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...