Friday, October 16, 2015

Review: Alchemystic (Spellmason Chronicles #1)

Author: Anton Strout
Goodreads Rating: 3.17
Pages: 290
 AN OLD FRIEND OF THE FAMILY…
Alexandra Belarus is a struggling artist living in New York City, even though her family is rich in real estate, including a towering Gothic Gramercy Park building built by her great-great-grandfather. But the truth of her bloodline is revealed when she is attacked on the street and saved by an inhumanly powerful winged figure. A figure who knows the Belarus name…

Lexi’s great-great-grandfather was a Spellmason—an artisan who could work magic on stone. But in his day, dark forces conspired against him and his, so he left a spell of protection on his family. Now that Lexi is in danger, the spell has awoken her ancestor’s most trusted and fearsome creation: a gargoyle named Stanis.

Lexi and Stanis are equally surprised to find themselves bound to each other. But as they learn to work together, they realize that only united can they save the city they both love…

Do you want a unique story about magic with a sassy heroine? Or are you a fan of the cartoon Gargoyles (yeah children of the 90's!)? Well if you are then this is a great book for you :)

I found this book at a book sale and thought it sounded really interesting (comparison to the Gargoyles TV show that I loved watching aside). We have our heroine who is forced into her family's business and also has to dodge people who are out to take her life. Luckily, she's got a living gargoyle, Stanis, to look out for her. Brought alive by her great-great-grandfather, he lives for one purpose: To protect the Belarus family. Together, with her hilarious friend Rory and her geeky roommate Marshall, they have to find out who is after them, and why.

I really adore how sassy Lexi can be :) I have a soft spot for funny characters and Lexi and her band of friends managed to make me chuckle a few times. It doesn't hurt that they even refer to the Gargoyles TV show at one point ;) I liked seeing Lexi's relationship with Stanis grow as well and am eager to see how they progress.

The book is told in alternating points of view, which I found kind of confusing, since they were both told from first person. Every time I read "I", I got confused on whose point of view it was referring to. I got used to it after a while, but I just thought maybe third person would be better for a book with alternating point of view chapters.

The book was actiony and mysterious and I enjoyed it very much :) It didn't overly wow me, but it was a descent read and I do look forward to finishing the series eventually :) 

The Court's Decision:
 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...