Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Other Life

Author: Susanne Winnacker
Goodreads Rating: 3.72
My rating: 3.75 Stars
Pages: 315
Reviewed by: Nicole


The premis of this book really drew me in when I saw it on NetGalley and so I got  super excited when I was approved to read it. Even though I just finished Insurgent, a dystopian book, I bent my rules to read this one since this is more of an infections story rather than a new society. This book is due to hit shelves on May 12, 2012


Goodreads Synopses:


3 years, 1 month, 1 week and 6 days since I’d seen daylight. One-fifth of my life. 98,409,602 seconds since the heavy, steel door had fallen shut and sealed us off from the world

Sherry has lived with her family in a sealed bunker since things went wrong up above. But when they run out of food, Sherry and her dad must venture outside. There they find a world of devastation, desolation...and the Weepers: savage, mutant killers.

When Sherry's dad is snatched, she joins forces with gorgeous but troubled Joshua - an Avenger, determined to destroy the Weepers.

But can Sherry keep her family and Joshua safe, when his desire for vengeance threatens them all?



Check out my review after the jump.
I did like this book. It was an interesting twist on the infection plot. With Rabies running rampant, and people living in bunkers. The idea of living in a bunker for three years with 6 other people would surely drive me crazy. I was a little surprised that the family didn't venture out sooner when they started to deplete their holdings. I don't think I could have gone longer than a week or two without a shower.


I liked that they had a bike installed to generate power, and that so many people had their own underground bunkers, although I do wish that we had been provided for a time for when this happened? Was it placed in like 2012? 2020? 2167? Clearly it was a time different from ours since so many people had bunkers under their house.


I felt that Winnacker made it a little too easy to get information from characters. Joshua told his story about his family to Sherry after about 2 days which was a little fast in my opinion, I like it when you have to work for information from the characters. The same can be said for a lot of the characters who were very forthcoming with their stories, like Marie who brazenly admits that she got pregnant in a bunker like she was telling Sherry that dinner was ready.


I think that there is a lot of room for character development as far as many of the characters go. Someone else mentioned in a review that the background characters seem very one-dimensional and I have to agree with that statement. I felt that there was more that we could have learned from Karen- the nurse and Marie- the young mother. Many of the interactions with these characters seemed so basic when there could have been more. I hope in the next book we get to learn more and more about these other characters and what they are like.


Joshua and Sherry seem to have this insta-romance which I could blame on them being away from members of the opposite sex close to their age, but that might only be true for Sherry. Joshua is much closer in age to Marie and has spent more time with her, but instead he falls for the girl, 3 years (or so) his junior. I can understand Joshua's built up manliness because Larry is a gimp (not meant to be offensive since he does have a lame leg), Tyler doesn't talk, and Geoffrey was a scientist and seems to be useless as far as fighting so it is up to Joshua, the young healthy boy of about 18 to be the defender while he is out on his near suicidal revenge mission.


I really enjoyed reading this book from Sherry's perspective because she is the oldest child in her family. I liked how we got short glimpses into what her life was like before everything happened and how we even get hints (such as a friend getting sick) as to what was going on. I say that they were short glimpses, because thats what they were, very short glimpses into her past. (Not even a page). I wish they had been longer. 


I think that this book has a lot of potential which is why I gave it the extra .75 bump and a four on goodreads, I really enjoyed this book and it was a quick read, and I will surely read the next books in the series.
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...