Monday, April 2, 2012

The Witches of East End

Author: Melissa De La Cruz
Goodreads Rating: 3.43
My Rating: 3.75 Stars
Pages: 272


My mom recommended this book to me last year, but I just didn't have the time for it, but clearly, I've gotten around to it. She raved about it and when it comes to teen books, we generally have the same taste in books. I also did not realize until midway through that this book was by the same woman who wrote Blue Bloods, a series I got my mom addicted to, but I fell off the bandwagon with the year between all the releases. (You know how it is, you never remember who is who and if they're good or bad or what.)


Goodreads Synopses:


The three Beauchamp women--Joanna and her daughters Freya and Ingrid--live in North Hampton, out on the tip of Long Island. Their beautiful, mist-shrouded town seems almost stuck in time, and all three women lead seemingly quiet, uneventful existences. But they are harboring a mighty secret--they are powerful witches banned from using their magic. Joanna can resurrect people from the dead and heal the most serious of injuries. Ingrid, her bookish daughter, has the ability to predict the future and weave knots that can solve anything from infertility to infidelity. And finally, there's Freya, the wild child, who has a charm or a potion that can cure most any heartache. 

For centuries, all three women have been forced to suppress their abilities. But then Freya, who is about to get married to the wealthy and mysterious Bran Gardiner, finds that her increasingly complicated romantic life makes it more difficult than ever to hide her secret. Soon Ingrid and Joanna confront similar dilemmas, and the Beauchamp women realize they can no longer conceal their true selves. They unearth their wands from the attic, dust off their broomsticks, and begin casting spells on the townspeople. It all seems like a bit of good-natured, innocent magic, but then mysterious, violent attacks begin to plague the town. When a young girl disappears over the Fourth of July weekend, they realize it's time to uncover who and what dark forces are working against them. 

With a brand-new cast of characters, a fascinating and fresh world to discover, and a few surprise appearances from some of the Blue Blood fan favorites, this is a page-turning, deliciously fun, magical summer read fraught with love affairs, witchcraft, and an unforgettable battle between good and evil.



My Review after the jump!

So this book was really boring until they started to use their magic. After that, the book got more exciting, and then super exciting in the last 40 pages. I was really close to putting the book down, but since it was so short, I decided to tough it out. I really liked how they were kind of the traditional witches with wands and broomsticks, while it can be cheesy and over played, I think that De La Cruz did a good job with it. And, although it has been a while since I've read the Blue Bloods series I liked how she threw us some Mimi Force and brought the Blue Bloods into the book a little.


I did not like that it was Norse mythology for the sole reason that the names are so hard to pronounce and they wind up being "Nurjfjfj" in my head instead of "Nordj". Other than the names, I also felt like you were assaulted with the whole back story of the family in the last 40 pages-when the story really picked up, which as I reader I felt was unfair. I didn't have time to absorb each bit of their history it was all the sudden BAM this is who they really are, BAM this is their history, BAM you had it all wrong the whole story! BAM we resolved the whole thing in under 30 pages. 


I thought that this book had a nice ending until the epilogue where you get another quarter sized pill to swallow and then you have to wait a year to find out what happens next. It's a little unfair, I find to me as a reader. I understand writing books takes time- but I just heard about an author who already has her book done and ready (finished editing and whatnot) and the publishing of that book has been pushed back from November to February! I want my book now! (But if I have to I guess I can wait).


I did not like the Freya/Killian pairing because through the whole book I thought he was  bad guy, and to be honest, I still don't like him. And lets not even talk about the sex scenes. They were a little graphic for my taste as far as a Young Adult book goes, but as my boyfriend pointed out to me, this book has been wrongly categorized and is an adult book. It was still fun to read nevertheless. 


I'm still up in the air if I want to read the next book in the series, but I guess I'll just have to see if it crosses my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...