Saturday, May 5, 2012

Before I Fall

Author: Lauren Oliver
Goodreads Rating: 4.01
My Rating: 3 Stars
Pages: 470
Reviewed by: Nicole


I was curious about this book so when I saw it at the library I decided to give it a go. In doing so, I bumped it ahead of all other books that have been patiently waiting on my reading list (all year I might add). This is the fourth time that I am reviewing one of her books, and it won't be the last since her latest release Pandemonium is among those sitting patiently in line.


Goodreads Synopses:

What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?
Samantha Kingston has it all: looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it turns out to be her last.
The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. Living the last day of her life seven times during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death--and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.
Check out my review:

I have to start this out by saying that I hated the ending of the book. Every part of me understands why it had to end the way that it did- so that Sam could realize what was important in life and have a chance to prove that life is worth living. I hated that ending. The entire time I read the book I was rooting for her to realize the error of her mean girls way and that she should be able to make everything work.


I really don't want to give the ending away, but I might. Our protagonist is a mean girl, not just a mean girl, but a superficial person who doesn't care about the impact that she has on anyone-not the nice boy who sent her a flower, not to her parents, not to her teacher (who she bates and at some point makes out with.) She gets to relive the last day of her life 7 times, each time changing a few things and seeing how different they become. 


Even her best friend, Lindsey, is a terrible person and I don't feel bad for her especially when she is the whole reason that the events of this book unfold. In the first friday- Sam dies in a car accident with her friends after leaving a party, she is the only one that perishes so basically her drunk friend Lindsey kills her. The rest of the 420 pages are filled with each new friday that she gets changing each one from spending time with her sister, telling her parents she loves them and being totally honest with everyone. Oh, and making out with her math teacher, but that was just a one time thing. 


Sam learns that she was wrong to judge people and that her actions have an impact on everyone around her. I can't even go into how frustrating this was to read even though it was nice to see this mean girl turn into someone somewhat nice. There isn't much more to write for this review without giving away major plot points. But I can say that her revenge on her stupid boyfriend in each friday was pretty great to read about.
Nicole

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really good story and I am looking forward to getting into it very soon. Incidentally you write a great review. I knew that following your blog was going to be a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really good story and I am looking forward to getting into it very soon. Incidentally you write a great review. I knew that following your blog was going to be a good idea!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...