Thursday, December 20, 2012

Altered


Author: Jennifer Rush
Goodreads Rating: 4.17
Pages: 323
Format: ARC from BEA12


When you can’t trust yourself, who can you believe?
Everything about Anna’s life is a secret. Her father works for the Branch at the helm of its latest project: monitoring and administering treatments to the four genetically altered boys in the lab below their farmhouse. There’s Nick, Cas, Trev . . . and Sam, who’s stolen Anna’s heart. When the Branch decides it’s time to take the boys, Sam stages an escape, killing the agents sent to retrieve them. 
Anna is torn between following Sam or staying behind in the safety of her everyday life. But her father pushes her to flee, making Sam promise to keep her away from the Branch, at all costs. There’s just one problem. Sam and the boys don’t remember anything before living in the lab—not even their true identities.
Now on the run, Anna soon discovers that she and Sam are connected in more ways than either of them expected. And if they’re both going to survive, they must piece together the clues of their past before the Branch catches up to them and steals it all away.



I dont even know where to begin this book. For starters just look at the cover. Look at how hot the boy on the cover is. And to be honest, all of the four boys are just as hot. Just wow, I don't even know how Anna kept her hands off these handsome men. I would have been all "YOU MUST BE LONELY!" Ugh, girlfriend is lucky.

Anyway, I loved the boys in this book, each one of them clearly has their own personality, and I loved that each one of them stood out despite being hot replicas of each other. I think my favorite bit was how protective they all seemed of her, how much they wanted to protect Anna when The Branch showed up and every other time since. I know, I know, why continue to feed into a mans need to "protect" women like we're totally defenseless? But me? I love it when a guy comes to the rescue, not that Anna needed it at all.

Girl packs a kick ass mean punch. I mean, I loved that she didn't even take flack from Nick, who isn't her biggest fan, and that she was able to stick up for herself and didn't need the boys. There were a few things that were kind of icky, but I won't talk about them since they give a few plot points away. (Damn you authors with good books that are hard to review!)

I really liked this plot and the whole premise of the creation of the boys and how every one of them was related to each other. What I'm really excited for in the next book (and yes, there will be more boys) and how all of their crazy decisions are going to come back and bite them in their (very hot) asses.

Wow. This review seems totally boy crazy, which I'm not. I'm in a very happy committed relationship, but I mean, really. As a final note, this book passes my insta-love test since the boys all knew Anna since she was 13 and have therefore been building their friendships with her, so no insta-love! I adored this book, and the boys, and I can't wait for the next instalment. There is a lot of action and fighting and so much going on in it that it is a great, fast paced read.


The Courts Decision:

Nicole

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for a fantastic review on a book that sounds like a really good read! I may just have to add this to my to-read shelf soon, as i am quite intreged by the plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, this book is like a thorn in my side. Let me explain:

    I have been dying to read this book for MONTHS. I heard about it at BEA and knew I wanted a copy. At one point, I was holding my BEA roomie's spot in line while she went to the bathroom or the suitcase corral (something like that), and she came back with that book.

    I was immediately like, "I WANT THAT ... did you happen to snag me one?"

    And she was like, "Oh. No. I didn't know you wanted one."

    Me: "I was just telling you an hour ago how much I was hoping to get that."

    Her: "Oh ... Want to borrow mine when I'm done?"

    Now, 6 months later, I still have not read said book. And there are only a few precious days until my preorder arrives. And still, I see awesome reviews like this and think: I WANT THIS NOW.

    OK. I'm fine. Not bitter at all.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHOOP!! :D I'm getting this from a friend for Christmas (as a preorder) and I can't wait to get it!!! And lol. Much boy squealing, I see. ;) Sometimes a girl just needs to read about a few boy saves girl after all the independent heroines we read about!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...