Thursday, December 27, 2012

Thirteen Reasons Why

Author: Jay Asher
Goodreads Rating: 4.06
My Rating: 5 Stars
Pages: 288
Reviewed by: Nicole
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

Ugh, I just lost this post, and something tells me it won't be as good as it was the first time I wrote it. I loved this book for so many reasons and one of those reasons, was because it made me cry. I know that some people felt that it didn't live up to the hype but I 100% felt that it did. Even though you know whats coming, you hope that it doesn't end.

Hannah's voice is so cynical, and yet funny, the way that she looks at coming death and what these people did to her made me laugh particularly the third reason that she lists. While every single incident was shocking and upsetting, the way she told it was sad and funny at the same time. 

I liked Clay, and finding him on the tapes made me anxious, I wasn't sure what kind of thing he did to wind up on the tapes, I didn't want my opinion of him to change. I'm not going to go into the details of what everyone did to deserve to be on the tapes, because its an important tale to hear from Hannah the hurt from what everyone did to her.

I think that this book needs to be added into the high school curriculums across the country because its important to see the impact that actions and words can have on a person. If you're in high school and haven't read this book then you should. 
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...