Sunday, April 27, 2014

Fire & Flood

Author: Victoria Scott
Goodreads Rating: 3.88
Pages: 305
Format: ARC from Publisher 


Time is slipping away.... 
Tella Holloway is losing it. Her brother is sick, and when a dozen doctors can't determine what's wrong, her parents decide to move to Montana for the fresh air. She's lost her friends, her parents are driving her crazy, her brother is dying—and she's helpless to change anything.
Until she receives mysterious instructions on how to become a Contender in the Brimstone Bleed. It's an epic race across jungle, desert, ocean, and mountain that could win her the prize she desperately desires: the Cure for her brother's illness. But all the Contenders are after the Cure for people they love, and there's no guarantee that Tella (or any of them) will survive the race.
The jungle is terrifying, the clock is ticking, and Tella knows she can't trust the allies she makes. And one big question emerges: Why have so many fallen sick in the first place?
Victoria Scott's breathtaking novel grabs readers by the throat and doesn't let go.




I've never read one of Victoria Scott's books, but I can understand now why people love her and her books so much. I was drawn to this book by its Hunger Games premise. That there is this cure out there for your loved one and the only way to get it is a race, not a fight to the death, but a race. This does not mean that people will not die, of course they will, but it was gripping and it tore your heart out to read it.

I did not like Tella at first. She was this snoody, spoiled rich girl, who had no business entering this race when she seemed to have no clue about anything otherwise. I hated how clueless she seemed to be and how she took everything to be face value. What I loved about her is that she grew. She stopped being irritating and got smart. There seems to be little to no reason as to why she got smart, but she did and for that I am grateful.

The addition of the Pandora's was an interesting twist and it made things different from the Hunger Games because you had something to help you. Sort of like Katniss and her bow. I also fell in love with some of the characters that surrounded Tella on her quest. Like Guy, who tried to help her no matter what and Harper who was fearless and brave no matter what it meant. I liked them all and the one's I didn't like, I loved to hate. Everyone was a vivid character who stood out against the others.


Know this going into this book, it is part of a series, which I didn't realize when I had started. I got to 50 pages left and said to myself "No way this gets wrapped up without Tella dying and that just being the end." Tella and her friends are in for so much more when we get to the next book and I cannot wait to join them on this journey.
The Courts Decision:

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...