Thursday, July 30, 2015

Throwback Thursday

Hey all! I wanted to do a little Throwback Thursday post this week to highlight the book I was reading this time last year.

Author: Julie Kagawa
Goodreads Rating: 3.79
Pages: 449
Original Review
Long ago, dragons were hunted to near extinction by the Order of St. George, a legendary society of dragon slayers. Hiding in human form and growing their numbers in secret, the dragons of Talon have become strong and cunning, and they're positioned to take over the world with humans none the wiser.

Ember and Dante Hill are the only sister and brother known to dragonkind. Trained to infiltrate society, Ember wants to live the teen experience and enjoy a summer of freedom before taking her destined place in Talon. But destiny is a matter of perspective, and a rogue dragon will soon challenge everything Ember has been taught. As Ember struggles to accept her future, she and her brother are hunted by the Order of St. George.

Soldier Garret Xavier Sebastian has a mission to seek and destroy all dragons, and Talon's newest recruits in particular. But he cannot kill unless he is certain he has found his prey: and nothing is certain about Ember Hill. Faced with Ember's bravery, confidence and all-too-human desires, Garret begins to question everything that the Order has ingrained in him: and what he might be willing to give up to find the truth about dragons.
Oh Julie Kagawa! I remember getting this book at BEA one year and my face being like....

It doesn't seem like it's been a year since I read this fabulous book by this equally fabulous author. Since Talon's release, she has come out with the sequel, Rogue, and has a third installment set to grace us in 2016. 
 (oh yea... I'm excited!)

I re-read my review for it, along with other friend's reviews of it, and find myself wanting to read it over again (I most definitely will before reading Rogue anyway). This was in a time period of review for myself where I wrote the review immediately after finishing the book. Now, I like to let the book stew for a day or so and then review notes that I make throughout reading the book to make sure my reviews cover all the emotions, feelings and such that I had while reading. My review with Talon I think should be changed slightly.

This isn't a bad thing at all though!! I still have fond memories and it's still probably one of my favorite books to read. I do remember there being more of a romancey side to the book that I wasn't overly thrilled about. The main character, Ember, I remember being just overly-gullible and naive (I remember often yelling at her for not seeing things that were blatantly in front of her face) I found myself doing this....

I attributed her gullible nature to her just being secluded her whole life but.... sometimes she really needed to follow her instincts. The ending I remember absolutely loving though, hence my overzealous review.

I gave the book 5/5 stars before and looking back, if I had stopped to absorb the book as a whole, it probably would get 4.5 stars from me.

HOWEVER!!! I am now beyond excited to re-read Talon to see if my re-thinking holds true and to pick up Rogue!

So Tell Us!!! What's your Throwback Thursday book??

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...