Monday, August 31, 2015

Review: Goddess of the Night (Daughters of the Moon #1)

Author: Lynne Ewing
Goodreads Rating: 3.80
Pages: 294
Vanessa, who has always had the special power to become invisible, discovers that she and her best friend Catty, a time-traveler, are goddesses of the moon who must fight together to overcome the evil Atrox.

The best way I can sum up this series is it's a mix of Charmed and Sailor Moon.


I read this series in middle school and like every middle schooler, I lost touch with it when I was waiting for the next book to come out (kind of like book ADD)leaving the series unfinished. I finally decided to go back and finish the series that I really enjoyed when I was young and I discovered something... I didn't enjoy it as much as when I was younger...

Like many middle grade books, it's very simplistic and repetitive with short chapters. In case you miss them the first time, you will hear how much Vanessa wishes she was normal, how Michael's kisses make her "molecules vibrate", and how she hates the tunnel Catty opens up to travel through time.

On the upside however, the powers and premise of the book are pretty interesting :) I think I was drawn to this book because I loved Sailor Moon. I loved the whole "magic girl kicking butt with her best friends" idea and I still do. The characters are interesting, and I can get passed the stereotypical "wannabe just like every other teen" thing that Vanessa has going on. I can ignore the repetitions and simplistic writing if that means I can see what happens in the end (and maybe explore the companion series as well) :)

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...